City Insurance – Frequently Asked Questions

Making sure you get the right car insurance is of paramount importance to all motorists, but the world of car insurance is often quite overwhelming for those not familiar with it.   go through a few of the most popular frequently asked questions we receive at City Insurance, to hopefully give you all the information you need to make the right decision.

Q: What happens if I am hit by an uninsured driver?

A: If you are in an accident, the first thing you should do is speak to your car insurance provider direct, undertaking the usual claim process.

If it transpires that the other driver doesn’t have car insurance, or refuses to give you their car insurance details, then you should contact the police as soon as possible – it is an offence to drive a vehicle without the requisite car insurance.

Q: What is an Excess?

A: Many car insurance policies have an excess on their coverage, which refers to an amount that the policy can pay towards the repair of a car in the event of an accident. With many car insurance policies, however, it is usually possible to reclaim this cost from the other driver if they were deemed to be solely at fault for the accident.

Q: What’s A No-Claims Bonus?

A: A no-claims bonus relating to car insurance is one of the ways car insurers reward good drivers with reduced premiums. Simply put, a motorist who has had no accidents during their car insurance policy is at much lower risk.

Q: How To Claim

A:If you have been in an accident and you either are not sure who is at fault, it was your fault, or you are sure the other person is liable you will need to follow the same process to claim on your insurance.

When you receive your policy documents, you will have a policy number which will become your point of reference if you are in a position where you need to make a claim.

In the moment, it can be difficult to work on recalling all of the necessary information you will be asked, therefore it’s a good idea to take photographs of the scene, and gather names and contact details of any witnesses.

Q: Is fully comprehensive better than third party, fire & theft?

A: Fully comprehensive car insurance is one of the higher levels of protection you can get when looking to renew your car insurance policy, it will cover you against both fire and theft, and will also cover your car against accidental damage.

Whereas, third-party, fire & theft covers you for damage you cause to an innocent third party, including vehicle, property or personal injury, but it will not cover you in the event of an accident that wasn’t your fault.

Q: Will penalty points affect my premium?

A: Yes. You must declare all penalty points on your insurance quotation for us to give you an accurate, legal, quote.

Q: Do I get no claims as a named driver?

A: No. The only way for you to receive no claims bonus is through being the policyholder on the car insurance.

Q: How Do I get a copy of my no-claims bonus?

A:Your no-claims bonus will be forwarded on to you as a certificate from your previous insurer.


If you are looking for car insurance, City Insurance are one of the UK’s leading providers of car insurance, get a competitive quote in minutes or over the phone.